All of us at whiskymerchants.co.uk respectively remind you to enjoy your dram responsibly and ask that only individuals of legal drinking age in your locale can enter this site.
For Alcohol Advice
Published 8 times a year Whisky Magazine is the perfect complement to the dram in your glass.
Every issue brings you fascinating articles on the art, science and romance of the 'water of life',
Plus page after page of Whisky tasting notes
Click Image for more details or to Subscibe
This website has had to be updated to the latest format so it will work on all platforms Mobile, Tablet, Laptop and Pc
Please bare with us as we re-adjust the pages to work properly
Bow Street (1780-1971) John Jameson & Son
John's Lane (1796-1976) John Power & Son
Jones Road (1873-1945) The Dublin Whiskey Distillery Co Ltd
Located at Clontarf next to the river Tolka
Built by a consortium of seven businessmen DWD became Dublin Distillers Company merged with Thomas Street & Marrowbone Lane in 1891
Marrowbone Lane (1700's-1920s) Wm Jameson & Co
Acquired by the Stein Family around 1780 by 1802 had become Jameson and Stein by 1822 had become WJ & Co as above Area now municipal housing
Phoenix Park DCL (1878-1921)
DCL bought and converted an old spinning mill on the Liffey at Chapelizod Four miles up stream from the centre of Dublin
Thomas Street (1757-1926) George Roe & Co
Located virtually opposite the giant Guinness Brewery In 1757 Peter Roe purchased a small existing distillery on the North Side of Thomas Street
County Antrim & Belfast
Royal Irish Distilleries (1868-1938 or later) Built by Dunville & Co
Location Distillery Street Malt Street and Excise Street now covered by the M1 Belfast - Dungannon Motorway
Conneswater (1886 - 1929)
Founded By blender merchants Kirker Green & Co and Mitchell &co Ltd became Irish Distilleries Ltd
Avoniel William Higgins (1882-1929)
Ballymarrett Area Avoniel Leisure Centre is on part of the land.
Abbey Street A A Watt
Waterside A A Watt
Allman & Co Located on the Cork to Bantry road a half mile from Bandon
The Glen Distillery Company (1802-1925)
Around 1800 a Daniel Callahan was noted as a distiller at Dodges Glen Kilnap.
North Mall The Cork Distillers Ltd (1779-1920)
Said to have been started by Thomas and Francis Wise in 1779
The Distillery was built on the site of al old Dominican Friay called the Abbey of St Mary of the Island.
Midleton Original (1825-1975)
The Cork Distillers Ltd
Founded in1825 Three Brothers James, Daniel, and Jeremiah Murphy
Closed in 1975 when the new Irish Distillers Group distillery at Midleton is opened
Partnership of Thomas Hewitt, John Teulon and Richard Blunt
Located in Watercourse Road Blackpool just north of the city of Cork Close to the Kiln River
The Green (1796-1980 distilling ceased in 1870)
Two Distillers Robert Allan and Denis Cororan are connected with the site during the 1790's
Location York Street Now Thomas Street Blackpool
Daly's Distillery (1807-69)
A William Lyons is recorded of having premises in John street early in the 19th century
James Daly is a recorded distiller in 1833
Located at 32 John Street on a site down stream to the Green and watercourse distilleries.
Kilbeggan (1757-1958 reopen 2007)John Locke & Co
Coleraine (1820-1978) RA Taylor
Around 1820 a mill in Newmarket Street owned by John Rennie was converted to a distillery. This distillery passed to Thomas Black who sold the distillery onto Michael Ferrar in 1837.
Ferrar sold the lease onto a James Moore. On his death the distillery was purchased by Robert Taylor.
Limavady (1805-1914)Young, King & Co Ltd
Limavady is a small town halfway between Coleraine and Londonderry
History records several distilleries in the town between 1750 and 1835 However a David Cather commenced brewing beside the Drumachose Church in 1805 This site passed to his son George Cather Around 1880 a James McLoughlin converted the brewery to a distillery for Young, King & Co Ltd a Belfast Blending Firm
Comber Upper/Lower Comber Distillers Ltd (1825-1953)
Upper converted from a brewery in Killinchy Street by George Johnson and John Miller in 1825
Lower converted from a paper mill by Messrs Bryne and Griffin
John miller bought the lower around 1860 and operated as one business
Malcolm Brown & Co
Established by Mr Gillehan in 1708 on the site of a former Tannery about 50 yards from Dundalks main church in Roden Place.
Purchased by DCL in 1912 the distillery was closed in 1926.
The buildings remained neglected until the mid 1980's when they were purchased by the Urban council who transformed them into the County Museum and Library
Nun's Island (1846 or earlier 1915) H S Persse
Stood on a small island in the river Corrib that separated it from the main town of Galway.
In 1823 a Patrick Joyce was recorded as running a small still on Nuns Island
A Henry Persse purchased the Joyce distillery around 1840 and converted it to a woollen mill However by 1846 it had been converted back to a distillery.
Still operating in1908 however the distillery had closed down by the start of the 1st World War
Limerick Also Known as Walker's or Thomond Gate (1829-1905)
Located besides the River Shannon close to the Thomond Gate Bridge.
In 1802 three distilleries are listed in Limmerick By 1807 all three had ceased trading. In 1818 two distilleries were operating however 4 years later only a John Stein is listed.
In 1846 The Thomond Gate distillery was owned and operated by John Stein Jnr
Around 1879 The distillery was purchased by Alexander Walker who also owned the Vauxhall Distillery in Liverpool and the Adelphi Distillery in Glasgow.
Aw was affected by the whisky downturn around 1900 and sold his distilleries to DCL in 1902 who had closed all three distilleries within a year or two. Eventually the distillery was demolished in 1937 to make way for new homes.
Monasterevan (1784-1921)Cassidy & Co
In 1784 a John Cassidy purchased a Still and house from the widow of John Goslin who had died six years previous. After a fire allegedly caused by a dismissed employee in 1788 he went into partnership with a Dublin Merchant Robert Harvey.
The Company went into voluntary liquidation in December 1921
Birr (1805-1890)W & J Wallace Parsonstown
There were 4 Distilleries during the Middle 1700's However by 1802 this had been reduced to one. In 1818 a second distillery was in production with one of them folding by the mid 1840's the other purchased by the Wallace or Walker Brothers.
Located in Newbridge Street on the River Cam-cor and appears to have been run down by the time of Bernards Visit in 1887
Tullamore (1829-1954) Bernard Daly
Bishops Water (1827-1915) Nicholas Devereux & Co
Built By a consortium of local gentlemen opening in 1827 on the confluence of the Bishop's Water stream and the Horse River
The Company went bankrupt before the 1st world war and distilling had stopped by 1914.