All of us at whiskymerchants.co.uk respectively remind you to enjoy your dram responsibly and ask that only individuals of legal drinking age in your locale can enter this site.
For Alcohol Advice
Published 8 times a year Whisky Magazine is the perfect complement to the dram in your glass.
Every issue brings you fascinating articles on the art, science and romance of the 'water of life',
Plus page after page of Whisky tasting notes
Click Image for more details or to Subscibe
This website has had to be updated to the latest format so it will work on all platforms Mobile, Tablet, Laptop and Pc
Please bare with us as we re-adjust the pages to work properly
Whyte & Mackay History.
The origins of the Whyte & Mackay's 'Double Lion' blend lies in the Glasgow firm of Allan & Poynter, founded in November 1843 by John Poynter, and William Allan.
The firm’s initial business was in warehousing goods for the grocery trade. In due course the business changed hands and the new owner, William Scott recruited, James Whyte and Charles Mackay as bonded warehousemen.
By the late 1870's due to the shortage of brandies, which had become unavailable due to the phylloxera outbreak in France, the firm was warehousing more and more whisky
When William Scott passed away in 1882 his widow sold the business to James Whyte and Charles Mackay on the condition that they were not to use the name Allan & Poynter. Hence the firm was renamed Whyte & Mackay.
Confident that their future lay with whisky blending the two partners invested in a blending plant and suitable premises in Robertson Lane, Glasgow.
Initially blending to customers' orders they quickly launched a new blended whisky under their own joint names the “Whyte & Mackay Special”
They managed to weather the crises at the beginning of the 20th century brought about by the Patterson’s Crash, even expanding sales of their Whyte & Mackay whisky on the eve of the First World War.
Charles Mackay passed away in 1919 in the same year Whyte & Mackay became a limited company Two years later John Whyte followed in 1921.
For small concerns like Whyte & Mackay the going was rough in the 1920s and the firm was reconstructed in 1926 to reduce its capital stock levels.
Trade began to pick up in the late 1920s with a resurgence of export orders, particularly from North America followed by a growth in exports to Australia and New Zealand in the 1930s.
Again prospects were reduced by the outbreak the Second World War. It was not until the 1950's, under the direction of James Whyte's two sons, Hartley and Alex, that the recovery was sustained with a determined advertising campaign. With the end of voluntary rationing on the home market, Whyte & Mackay began to build its sales in the United Kingdom.
In 1960 the company acquired Dalmore distillery in the northeast of Scotland and was renamed Dalmore, Whyte & Mackay.
During 1963 Whyte & Mackay pioneered the 40oz (1.136 Litre)bottle size for use in bars
By 1965 Whyte & Mackay was the fifth most popular brand in Scotland. A successful redoubling of efforts in export markets followed this achievement.
The company became part of Sir Hugh Fraser's Scottish and Universal Investments Ltd (SUI) in 1971. Two years later the Tomintoul and Fettercairn distilleries were purchased.
SUI was acquired by Lonrho in 1981 and subsequently Whyte & Mackay was sold to Brent Walker in 1988 and then to American Brands (now Fortune Brands) in 1990.
In 2001 Fortune Brands sold Whyte & Mackay to 'Kyndal' in a £200 million management buyout backed by German investment bank, WestLB.
In February 2005, Vivien Immerman bought Whyte & Mackay from WestLB and embarked on a long-term investment programme to ensure the continued international success of Whyte & Mackay.
During 2006, in a dramatic display of confidence, Whyte & Mackay was re-launched with a new look inspired by its proud Glasgow heritage.
The famous double lions rampant once more took centre stage, resuming their rightful place as iconic symbol of the brand and company.
The new look incorporated a 'Charles Rennie Mackintosh' feel in tribute to Glasgow's stylish nature.
The original Whyte & Mackay blend was renamed "SPECIAL", as it was at the very beginning of Whyte & Mackay.
In addition, 13, 19 and 22 years old aged blends with an extra year of maturation were added to the brand's award winning range. Whyte & Mackay went "back to the future" to rediscover its proud Glasgow roots in stylish, masculine packaging which truly reflects the quality of scotch in the bottle.
Whyte & Mackay was bought by The UB Group in 2007 one of India’s largest conglomerates with diverse interests in aviation, brewing, distilling, engineering, fertilizers, biotechnology, information technology and real estate. Becoming part of United Spirits Limited, means that the Whyte & Mackay brands are now part of the world’s second largest drinks group.
Whyte and Mackay Ltd,
310 St Vincent Street,
Scotland G2 5RG
Tel: +44 (0) 141 248 5771
No Visitor Facilities at Head Office
Whyte & Mackay Scotch Whisky
Whyte & Mackay Special Blend
Whyte & Mackay ‘The Thirteen’ Blend
Whyte & Mackay 19 Years Old Blend
Whyte & Mackay 22 Years Old Blend
Whyte & Mackay 30 Years Old Blend
Not all bottlings are universally available